Signs That You Need Heating Repair or Furnace Replacement
Central heating is a vital component of most homes in the US. It is not possible to survive a long winter without central heating. As such, the coming months are important with regards to preparing and ensuring that your home’s heating system is in tip-top condition before the cold weather finally sets in. There are several types of heating systems found in most homes. The most common being a furnace. Aside from furnaces, other kinds of heating systems found in homes are as follows:
• Heat Pumps
• Direct Heating
A furnace works by heating air and blowing it directly into ducts that circulate around the house. Furnaces are either gas, electric-powered, or oil-fueled. Many homes favor gas-fired furnaces because of reliability and efficiency.
Every type of heating system has an expected life-span. Gas furnaces, for example, will last around 10-15 years on the average. In some rare instances, it may last up to 20 years of consistent use. However, if your home has a relatively old heating system of around ten years or more, heating repair and maintenance may become a frequent need. But it does not necessarily mean you must replace it right away. There are furnace problems that when fixed, can still guarantee your heating system will work for a few more good years.
Signs that you need home heating repair services
Months before winter, you need to start checking on your home heating system to see if it requires a routine maintenance check or heating repair. The following five signs indicate that you must contact a technician to look at your heating system and fix it.
• The furnace has stopped working. Naturally, when the furnace stops working, it means there is something wrong with it. Causes may vary depending on how advanced your heating system is. For example, if the entire system completely shuts off, it could be related to data coming from the thermostat. Nevertheless, you will need an expert to diagnose the issue and find the real cause of the problem.
• Strange noises are coming from the furnace. Some examples of strange noises are creaks, squeaks, and banging sounds. The furnace is not supposed to make such noises, thus indicating that there has to be something wrong with it. You can always make speculations about what’s causing the sounds, but might not precisely pinpoint the exact cause of the problem. When this happens, call a heating repair technician.
• The system is not heating your home effectively. If there is a problem with your furnace, you’ll notice that it is not sufficiently providing heat for your home. Many possible reasons cause inefficient heating. Some examples include clogged fans, a broken motor, and problems with the heat exchanger.
• Unusually high utility bills. If there is no spike in your homes heating needs yet you seem to keep paying more on your bills, it is time to check if there is a fault in the heating system causing it to burn more energy than required. A heating repair technician should be able to find problems that relate to the inefficient use of fuel. If this problem goes unchecked, you are not only wasting money on your bills, but there may be a more severe problem with your furnace that will eventually cause more inconvenience on your part.
• The heating system is functioning intermittently. Intermittent heating cycles are sure indicators that there is a problem with your heating system. You should not ignore this issue because it can lead to higher utility bill payments and increased strain on the entire heating system.
Even small issues experienced with a home heating system needs checking. Homeowners who are vigilant and observant are likely to prevent significant troubles in the long run which can lead to costly replacements.
Signs you need a furnace replacement
Every year, the ideal scenario is that your home heating system is still in excellent working condition. However, this is not always the case and there comes a time when you have to start thinking about getting a replacement. There are warning signs which will tell you that instead of heating repair, you may need to consider getting a replacement for better heating efficiency and comfort.
• Your furnace is old. An old furnace is one that is more than ten years old. While it is true that you can extend the lifespan of a furnace up to 18 or 20 years, it may not provide the best energy efficiency and cost you more. If your furnace is already 15 years, you have to seriously think about getting a unit with an energy star rating. You’ll save 15% more on your bills with an energy-rated furnace than a regular model.
• You’ve had frequent furnace repairs. Frequent furnace repairs mean you’ve had to schedule a heating repair for the last two consecutive years. This is an indication that it is time to replace the unit as there is a possibility that it will break down more often from here on. The cost of repairs will be significant, not to mention the inconvenience on your part.
• Furnace flame is yellow. Ideally, the furnace fame should be blue. When it starts to turn yellow, it is a possible indication of carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas which can cause fatal harm. You need to call a heating repair technician to verify if the furnace is producing carbon monoxide. If so, you must immediately replace it.
Some of the signs such as weird noises and not enough heat produced can all add up to indicate that it is time to replace your furnace. Keeping your home heating system healthy is a priority especially since it is essential in providing comfort for you and your family.
What to expect from your local heating repair service
When you do encounter problems with your heating system, and you need to contact a heating repair service, as a customer, you’ll like have a few expectations. Not all HVAC contractors offer the same range of services. Aside from standard heating repair, maintenance, and replacement expertise, the following should be a basic list of what else they can do for you:
• Wiring installation. Heating and cooling contractors can also help in new constructions when it comes to installing wiring necessary for heating and cooling.
• Compliance with code regulations. When you need to replace a furnace or make adjustments to your home heating system, the HVAC contractor can help check code regulations and make sure that you comply.
• Routine reset of heating equipment. One common problem encountered by homeowners is their lack of knowledge in resetting or calibrating their heating equipment. Before a heating contractor leaves your home after installing heating equipment, they should also orient and teach the homeowner how to reset and calibrate their heating unit.
• Provide expert advice. Heating repair technicians are experts in their field. When you have questions about your heating system, they should be able to offer advice on how to diagnose simple problems and ensure that your heating system is running smoothly.
• Up-to-date knowledge. Part of their expertise is to acquire continuous training regarding new trends and technologies in the HVAC industry so that they always have relevant information needed in servicing their clients.
The best local heating repair services not only help homeowners fix problems with their heating system, but should also assist in determining their needs to make better choices for their homes.
How to find local heating and air contractors near you
There are many heating repair contractors within the Seattle area. It can become overwhelming to choose one if you don’t know what to look for. To make sure that you choose only the best, here are some tips:
• Get references from friends and family.
• Always read customer reviews online.
• Check the company’s website.
• Don’t focus on the price, instead, look for the company that offers the best value.
• Check the history of the company and how long they have been in business.
• Do your research before contacting a heating repair service.
• Check if the company offers discounts or rebates.
• Make a list of all the questions you have before calling a heating service company.
• Get as many written quotes as possible and compare before choosing.
Remember that you are entrusting your homes heating system to the company you choose. The decision is vital because, in the long run, you are likely to remain loyal to the same service company if you end up satisfied with their services. In most cases, a reference from a trusted friend or family member is enough to point you in the right direction. Nevertheless, taking your time to research and compare your choices is a step-up to finding a company that better suits your needs.
An expert in the field of HVAC solutions within the Seattle area, Fischer can help you with your needs for repair, maintenance, and replacement. Their expert technicians will assess and address any issues you may have with your heating system. Call them today at 206-202-9499 or 425-406-3050 and schedule an appointment.
Image Copyright: belchonock / 123RF Stock Photo